Supporting environmental preservation and combating climate change.
We recognize that everything made has an impact on the planet, and we believe the industry can regenerate rather than deplete the environment if we measure our footprint and invest in proven methods to counteract it. We understand that achieving sustainability is a never-ending process, and we’re committed to the necessary work it takes to honor the Earth while sharing and creating the products that delight our community.
Investing in conservation
Deforestation for agricultural expansion causes 15-18% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Global climate change is one of our world’s biggest threats, and we are committed to doing our part to take action. We launched our eco-shipping upgrade in 2020 in partnership with Grow Ahead, an organization that supports agroforestry projects run by small-scale farmer organizations to help combat climate change and invest in communities.
Agroforestry is the intentional planting of trees, cash crops, and food in the food-forest system, allowing farmers to restore water and nutrients to their soil, increase production of food, and pull carbon out of the atmosphere. It’s a solution that benefits the earth and the farmers.
Eco-shipping is making a difference
Every box shipped with our eco-shipping upgrade supported the planting of one tree in an agroforestry project. Below are a few of the ways each tree positively impacts the environment.
- Sequesters 40 pounds of carbon per year
- Provides important habitats for flora and fauna
- Retains water and restores nutrients to the soil
- Generates income for farmers and supports local community food security
Through Grow Ahead, our collective investment is funding the following activities:
- Technical Assistance needed to run the reforestation project
- Transportation of the seedlings from nurseries to reforestation areas
- Monitoring and evaluation of new plantings, including the creation of community associations for conservation
- Community educational programs focusing on the benefits and importance of reforestation for the environment and farmer
2020 Impact Report
The ideal of sustainability is constantly evolving, so our processes and models must too. This is why we believe in annual impact reports that allow us to share what and how we are doing.